Thursday, November 14, 2013

Kale Chips



While traveling around California I got introduced to a so-called superfood - kale. Especially in its raw form I saw it in salads or green smoothies. I had known kale before, it is called "Grünkohl" in German - green cabbage. But it is served cooked with lots of meat around here. Especially around here, in North-West Germany. When some nice American person asked me: "Do you have in kale in Germany?", I could only answer: "We live in the kale-capital of Germany." We really do. They even do "kale-tours" here. But let me explain. Or better, let somebody else explain, who explained it totally right here. (Read it? Guess, who is the "Kale King" of his company? Hubby).

For vegan reasons, you might understand, that kale in its north-western traditional form never appealed to me. But understand my excitement, when I found out about (raw) vegan kale chips! My joy had to wait on hold until now, because kale is only harvested after the first frosty nights, in summer I got strange looks at the farmer's market when I asked about kale and told them they are American superfood.

There are lots of recipes out there for Kale chips, flavours ranging from Pizza to white chocolate strawberry (!). I tried the "naked version" (from Amber Shea's Practically Raw):

- Take a bunch of kale, wash it, remove the bigger stems and chop it
- Dress it with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt (use your hands to massage the kale...)
- Arrange the kale on a baking tray


Since I don't have a dehydrator and 8 hours dehydration time to make the chips "raw", I bake them in the oven: 150°C (300°F) for about 15 minutes, then carefully flip them over and bake for another 5-10 minutes (watch carefully not to burn them). They will be crispy.


Hubby might be Kale King, but I am the Vegan Queen of Kale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ich liebe smoothies mit gruenkohl! lg doris