Monday, May 2, 2011

Sunday Sewing

Sunday morning 7.30 am. Clara: Mama, get up! Esmi needs a spring skirt. Can you sew one?
Me: ???????%%%((((%%§§§§§§§%))))% OK.

Clara picked some fabric from my vintage stash, she had her very own ideas about what a spring skirt should look like. I reminded Clara that sewing requires a little patience. And with some very basic sewing skills and no breakfast I mastered a little hemmed A-line skirt with some elastic. When Esmi modeled the result, Clara said: That is just what I wanted. Happy mama.

Fueled by this sewing success and the prospect of Clara spending a couple of hours at her grandma's house playing with her cousin, I happily sewed on. Actually I have been itchy to sew for a while, even waking up in the middle of the night recently with an incredible urge to sew. But you know, job, cleaning, the usual excuses. And when we went to a garden party on Saturday I talked with two other women about sewing and was really full of sewing desire. Springtime calls for sewing, it seems, like the first signs of fall need to be accompanied by needles and wool.



Just to keep my fingers and my sewing machine busy I made a little bag from the book Sew! by Cath Kidston (the pre-cut fabric was included in the book). A warm-up, little baby steps in the sewing direction, but a good start. And once I started stitching some embroidery and knitting stitches followed in the evening. One stitch seems to call for the next.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Ich will auch nähen lernen. Unbedingt und sofort! ;-)

Die Tasche ist toll! Passt sicher gut zu deiner (eurer) Garderobe...

Hab ich das richtig verstanden, dass der Stoff beim Buch dabei war?

Gruß Stefanie