Monday, April 8, 2013

Knitting and Rock 'n' Roll


Not much knitting recently, but reading. Like Pattie Boyd's autobiography. The sixties model and former wife of George Harrison and Eric Clapton tells the story of her life and in-between all those exciting and heartbreaking tales, I also found two little passages about knitting:

"... and George gave me a knitting machine so I took knitting lessons. I had been inspired by Twiggy, who had also had one and could run off wonderful sweaters. I found it terribly difficult. I knitted George a Fair Isle one and that was it."

"Then Eric decreed that wives and girlfriends were banned from touring. We used private planes most of the time, and Jamie, the drummer's wife, got on one day and started knitting. Eric flipped. Knitting didn't go with rock 'n' roll..."

When Hubby saw the book lying on the couch the other day, he asked me: "Are you a groupie now?" Sure enough - but I am a fan of the yarnharlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Her blog and books are music to my ears. Or like Interweave Magazine (The Rolling Stone of Knitters) put it: "She has become something of an unwitting rock star in the world of knitting." Times have changed.

No comments: